Friday, December 28, 2012

Stuff.


How much stuff does someone really need? 

Material possessions are important. I believe that. It changes the quality of your life. Allows you to do things that make you happy. I own six bikes. They all serve a specific purpose. Riding each one makes me feel calm, yet powerful and confident. Our Mini always puts a smile on my face and judging by the looks and smiles and cameras pointed our way, seems like it makes other peoples' days too. I like my clothes. Some make me feel cozy and warm, some allow me to work out hard yet remain comfortable, others make me look professional and project seriousness to my coworkers and potential employers. 

I won't go through everything I own and why it's important, but thinking about stuff has been on my mind a lot lately. First when Nilit and I were packing our apartment into a storage unit, and then again when we were both packing for our trips to Guatemala and India. When we were packing our apartment and doing so was taking longer than expected, Nilit frequently heard from me: "Where did we get all this... stuff!?"

Of course, I can probably really tell you where each thing actually came from or why we bought it. We aren't hoarders, and we readily donate things or throw them away when they're not necessary. Before moving, we gave a few boxes of clothes to a coworker who was giving them to Hurricane Sandy victims through his church. And after we had most of our things packed for storage, we had a whole car full of clothes and other potentially useful things to give to Goodwill.

Still, we had a whole PODS unit filled with our possessions (as you can kind of see in Nilit's picture posted here). These are the things we decided we wanted to keep, for one reason or another. Some things have sentimental value, others have practical value, and a few things are just pretty to look at or remind us of a wonderful person or time or place from our lives. It's stuff that we want with us long-term.

For the short-term though, we spent a lot of time thinking about mobility while we're traveling abroad and making sure we aren't hauling random stuff around the world. I am a planner and an over-thinker. I've spent a lot of time thinking about personal comforts and necessities. First, it was the essential stuff: What practical things are absolutely necessary for the work we will be doing? What do I need to take for everyday hygiene, health, and sleep? 

Here's the other thing: we are absolutely, positively stepping out of our comfort zone soon. Our living quarters are going to be small. We are going to areas of Guatemala and India where we will be uncomfortable in ways we don't even know yet. So for me, it was important to ask myself this: What would be nice-to-have everyday? When I'm a little down, or when things suck and I'm uncomfortable, what will make me happy? What will be a good outlet or make it feel just a little bit like home?...but still not take up much space? 

As it turns out, when you ask these questions and are truly honest with yourself, you really aren't left with much.  

Before...*
After!
*Personal not-for-sharing-on-the-world-wide-web type stuff omitted or hidden

I am sure that I will encounter at least a handful of moments when I wish I had taken that one thing, or thought of how useful some other thing would have been. But, I'll get over it. After all, we are going to places where people comfortably live their whole lives in these towns. Maybe we will learn something about patience and comfort and true necessity.



Until then, I miss my bikes. (See you real soon, Tessa!)

;) 
Shreya

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! Good luck with your preparations. The packing alone (deciding what to pack) is no small task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following and commenting! We decided we couldn't change anything after we took pictures of the bags. Hope you're having fun on vacation.

      Delete